Ask a question, request a quote or check recovery status. Call us.
We are ready to help you recover your data 24 hours/day, 7 days/week!
Disk Read Error
For those of us who use Windows in any of its various forms, we will have no doubt have encountered a “disk read error” at some time or another during our lifetime. The presence of this error message with its trademark warning sound can be very frustrating indeed.
When does the disk read error appear?
This error message will invariably arise as a result of the computer operator attempting to make use of the Winnt32.exe executable file to try and reinstall the Windows 10 operating system onto a hard drive that already happens to have two operating systems on it.
How do I fix this error message?
In order to overcome this particular conflict, it is essential that the computer user adheres to the following steps, in the following order:
1. Ensure that the executable file, Winnt32.exe is launched and the most straightforward and effective method of achieving this objective is to click on start, and then from the pop up menu that appears from there, “My Computer”.
2. The next step is to then access the c: drive sub directory that will appear when “My Computer” has been selected.
3. From there, the user will need to then select and access the folder “i386” that is present within the c subfolder.
4. Although there will be several folders in the i386 folder, the player will need to find the “Winnt32.exe” file and then either double click on it, or right click on it and then select “run”
5. The Windows Setup page will be displayed on the screen and so the player should then proceed to press any key whenever they are prompted to do so by the Windows Setup page.
6. The computer user will be presented with a number of different options. It is imperative that the computer user ONLY selects the “launch setup” feature. Sharp eyed users may observe that there is a “boot legacy operating system” option available but the user should not select this particular option. The reason for this is that it is the boot legacy operating system that has been solely responsible for the disk read error that the user is currently contending with.
7. Once the user has followed these steps, they will simply need to read and follow the on screen instructions that will be presented to them as part of the installation process. Doing so will bring the installation process to a satisfactory ending, resulting in that annoying little error message mercifully and finally disappearing.
Of course, sometimes, a disk read error occurs because of a damaged hard drive, which is a job for a professional. A clicking or buzzing hard drive may be a good symptom of this, and if this has occurred, you’ll want to either call the toll free number above, or contact a professional data recovery technician at the number above.